Planning a hot and warm Valentine’s Day meal for your beloved? Boost your libido with aphrodisiac foods to ensure a great time with your partner.
“Certain foods can not only increase sexual desire but can also improve performance in bed. A diet packed with nutrients will not only improve overall health but can also boost libido in people,”said Ms. Pavithra N Raj, Dietician Executive, Columbia Asia Hospital, Yeshwanthpur, Bangalore.
“Foods that increases blood flow makes sexual intercourse more pleasurable as it drives blood to the extremities,” added Pavithra.
Read on as Pavithra points out some of the food items that you can add to your meal and snacks recipes this Valentine week to elevate your partner’s mood:
- Figs are excellent sources of amino acids that increases libido. It also improves sexual stamina.
- Avocados are loaded with potassium and can boost libido for both sexes.
- Watermelon contains citrulline, an amino acid that relaxes blood vessels thereby increasing sex drive.
- Spinach is rich in magnesium which decreases inflammation in blood vessels resulting in increased blood flow.
- Dark chocolate is a stress buster as it increases the levels of both, serotonin and dopamine in the brain. Cocoa in chocolate also increases blood flow and relaxes blood vessels.
- Hot peppers increase body’s metabolism and stimulates endorphins, speeding up heart rate.
- Green tea does not only reduce your belly fat but also increases blood flow. ‘Catechins’ in green tea cause blood vessel cells to release nitric oxide leading to improved blood flow.
Libido-Boosting Food for Her
- Coffee is one of the best libido booster for women.
- A glass filled with wine is rich in antioxidants that trigger nitric oxide production in blood and relaxes the artery walls. This increases blood flow down south in the body.
Libido-Boosting Food for Him
- Almonds are a great source of essential fatty acids. They contain omega-3 and fatty acids to help produce testosterone in men and provide the raw material for a man’s healthy production of hormones.
- Walnuts improve the quality of sperm. It is known to improve the shape, movement and vitality of the sperm.
- Pumpkin seeds are high in zinc, which is important for testosterone production in men and helps boost libido.
Say NO to These Food Items
- Avoid salty foods as they not only diminish blood flow to the genitals but also make it more difficult to reach an orgasm. To counteract high content of salt in food, include bananas or potatoes in diet
- Avoid having beans as it makes people sluggish, bloated and even increases flatulence. However, it all depends on how beans are digested by the body
- For people who do not have a good digestive function, red meat may sit heavily in them, making them feel lethargic
- Tofu and soya products if eaten in excess can decrease testosterone levels as they contain phytoestrogens. So, avoid tofu to keep your sexual desire high