We Indians love our food more than anything else in the world. We just cannot compromise on taste and presentation of the food served to us. People in different states and regions of India use different cooking oils. For example, people in most parts of North India use mustard oil or groundnut oil while South Indians love cooking in coconut oil or sesame oil. We tend to choose a cooking oil that tastes better rather than considering how healthy it is. Olive oil is the answer to all our taste and health requirements, we want our food to contain. Let’s read further to know about how you can eat everything you want and still be healthy just by replacing your regular cooking oil with olive oil.
WHY SHOULD YOU PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR METABOLIC HEALTH?
Metabolism is the process of breaking down of the complex substances into simpler ones for the ease of nutrient absorption. Improper digestive system and excretory system are the major indicators of the overall metabolic health. This leads to serious health concerns such as cardiovascular diseases, high blood pressure, high blood sugar levels, high triglycerides and low HDL cholesterol levels. The biggest risk factor that leads to other major health problems is obesity, which is caused as a result of poor metabolism and accumulation of fat. However, the awareness, treatment, and control of metabolic health disorders have advanced to a great extent.
- Cardiovascular diseases
- High blood pressure
- High blood sugar levels
- High triglycerides and
- Low HDL cholesterol levels
The biggest risk factor that leads to the above-mentioned health issues is obesity, which is caused as a result of poor metabolism and accumulation of fat. However, the awareness, treatment, and control of metabolic health disorders have advanced to a great extent. Simple lifestyle changes like replacing your cooking oil can go a long way in maintaining the metabolic health.
“OLIVE OIL IS NOT FOR INDIAN COOKING” – FACT OR MYTH?
It is completely a myth that Indian food does not taste better in olive oil! In fact, olive oil is one the lightest oils that has very mild taste when compared to other cooking oils. It enhances the flavors of the food and is also easier to digest than other refined oils.
- Olive oil is lighter and easily absorbed by the body
- All refined olive oils have higher burning point
- Olive oil is extracted from 100% natural sources and is high is “good” fats
- Extra virgin olive oil retains its natural nutritive compounds even at higher temperatures
- Olive oil is great for maintaining the cardiac health and lowering blood cholesterol
- Olive oil promotes digestion and reduces the risk of Type-2 diabetes
- Olive oil is rich in oleic acid which helps in burning fat
- Olive oil protects the cells from free radical damages
- Olive oil is great for maintaining healthy skin and growing long and lustrous mane
WHICH OLIVE OIL IS BEST FOR INDIAN COOKING?
This is the most commonly asked query on every food and health forums. Indian food is known for its rich flavors and extensive usage of spices. Extra virgin olive oil may not be a wise choice for such cooking as it breaks down at higher heat and may ruin the flavor. But lesser refined versions such as pomace or Extra light olive oil can be very well used in Indian cuisine. Here are the various types of olive oil used for various methods of cooking.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – Salad dressings, pasta, dips and healthy butter substitute
- Extra Light Olive Oil – Shallow frying, sautéing, stir-frying, gravies and tadka
- Pomace Olive Oil – Frying and all forms of Indian cooking
WHICH IS THE BEST BRAND OF OLIVE OIL IN INDIA?
Indian population is highly aware of the importance of cardiac and metabolic health for a better living. There are various brands of olive oil in the market but it’s up to the consumer to make an informed decision. Leonardo Olive oil is a reputed brand of oil which has been producing authentic, high-quality olive oil for the past 126 years. The brand maintains a unique South Italian flavor in its olive oil through careful extraction process and stringent quality measures. It is available in India at various supermarkets and hypermarkets. You can also buy it online at Amazon and BigBasket.
#EatBefikr and #ichoosehealth